I make this in a mini muffin pan, bake for 15 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch. Keep them in sandwich-sized storage bags for a quick snack for the kiddos!
For the muffins-
12 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¾ c. granulated sugar
6 c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ c. buttermilk
4 large eggs
1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. baking powder
1 ¾ tsp. salt
1 2/3 c. milk
For the topping-
8 oz. unsalted butter
2 c. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just mixed in.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
3. Combine the milk and buttermilk.
4. With a wooden spoon, mix a quarter of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Then mix in a third of the milk mixture. Continue mixing in the remaining dry and wet ingredients alternately, ending with the dry. Mix until well combined and smooth, but don’t overmix.
5. Grease and flour a standard-size muffin tin. Scoop enough batter into each tin so that the top of the batter is even with the rim, about ½ cup.
6. Bake 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
7. Prepare the dipping mixture by melting the butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
8. When muffins are just cool enough to handle, remove them from the pan, dip the tops into the butter and roll the tops in the cinnamon sugar.