By Angie Sutton, www.momsapronstrings.com
Ready your victory dance. You’re going to need it after scoring big points with these game-day eats and crowd-pleasing munchies.
Walking Taco Salads
When you need to feed a crowd and keep it easy, walking tacos are perfect! Everyone has fun "customizing" their salad, and, frankly, it’s just fun to eat them!
3 lbs. lean ground beef
3 (1.25-oz.) packages taco seasoning mix
3 c. water or beef broth
24 INDIVIDUAL SIZE bags of tortilla chips
3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, seasoned or regular
6 c. finely shredded lettuce
3 c. salsa and/or taco sauce
4 c. sour cream
3 c. guacamole
6 c. taco-blend shredded cheese
3 c. finely diced tomato
3 c. finely diced onion
2 c. sliced black olives
1 c. sliced jalapenos
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef; drain if necessary. Add taco seasoning and broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
2. Preheat slow cooker on LOW while browning beef. Store ground beef in slow cooker to keep it warm while guests are assembling their salads.
3. Slightly crush chips in bags and snip tops of bags open. Provide a plastic fork. Let the guests customize their salads.
Man Cave Worthy Dip
Beef up your offensive line when you serve this hearty dip with corn tortilla chips or the scoop chips.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 can (4 oz.) chopped ripe black olives
3 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (more if you like)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1 (16-oz.) pkg. process cheese, cubed
1. In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef. Add onion and simmer 5 minutes longer. Dump in a slow cooker.
2. Add all remaining ingredients, except cheese, and stir until combined. Cover and set slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours, until heated through.
3. Stir in cheese cubes. Continue to heat on low until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.
Pizza Biscuit Wreath
2 (12-oz. each) cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
60 small slices (1 1/2-inch) pepperoni
5 sticks Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, each cut into 4 pieces
1 egg, beaten
2 T. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 (8-oz.) jar pizza sauce or marinara
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray or use a parchment paper liner.
2. Separate one can of dough into 10 biscuits; keep second can refrigerated. Press each biscuit into a 3-inch round.
3. Place 3 pepperoni slices and 1 piece of cheese on each dough round. Wrap enough dough around filling, pinching edges to seal and form ball. Repeat with remaining can of dough, pepperoni and cheese. 4. Leaving a 4-inch hole in the center, arrange 8 balls, seam side down and sides almost touching, into a ring on the cookie sheet. Arrange remaining 12 balls, sides almost touching, around the outer edge of the first ring.
5. Brush rings with beaten egg. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, warm the pizza sauce in a small glass bowl. Carefully slide the pizza ring onto a serving platter and place the pizza sauce bowl in the middle.
Prepare sandwiches the day before the game. Place in zip-top plastic freezer bags, and refrigerate overnight.
2 (16-oz.) jars mixed pickled vegetables
3/4 c. pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, chopped
2 Tbsp. bottled olive oil-and-vinegar dressing
12 small dinner or slider rolls, cut in half
6 Swiss cheese slices, cut in half
12 thin deli ham slices
12 Genoa salami slices
6 provolone cheese slices, cut in half
1. Pulse pickled vegetables in food processor 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Stir in olives and dressing.
2. Spread 1 heaping tablespoonful pickled vegetable mixture over cut side of each roll bottom. Top each with 1 Swiss cheese slice half, 1 ham slice, 1 salami slice, 1 provolone cheese slice half, and roll tops. Cover with plastic wrap. Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.
Apron Strings Tip: We used Mezzetta Italian Mix Giardiniera pickled vegetables and Newman’s Own Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing.