Perfectly Portable Sides
By Angie Sutton, www.mothersapronstrings.com
Memorial Day is like a right of passage for pulling out the grill and wiping down the picnic table. Dining becomes al fresco, sometimes in the field on a pick-up truck tailgate. Summer activities will soon be in full swing and mealtime can often be irregular and sporadic. These family-friendly recipes ensure you get a full serving of vegetables and are perfectly portable!
Grilled Zucchini & Peppers
This fast-fix veggie delight is simple to make and delicious. Vegetables will be crisp tender and provide just the right amount of healthy crunch to accompany your beef entrée.
1 green pepper, julienned
1 red pepper, julienned
1 or 2 zucchini, julienned
1 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. soy sauce
1. Create a basket with a double-layer of heavy duty aluminum foil.
2. Cut butter into thin pats and drop on top of vegetables. Drizzle with soy sauce.
3. Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly.
4. Grill over medium heat for 7 minutes on each side. Vegetables will be crisp tender.
This crunchy and fresh summer salad is perfectly portable for picnics and celebrations! This dish pairs will with hamburgers, hot dogs and deli sandwiches.
2 c. cauliflower florets, cut small
2 cucumbers, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, diced
3 green onions, chopped
1 (15-oz.) bag frozen sweet corn, thawed
1/2 c. mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
Zesty Greek Couscous
Give this a try! Don’t let the couscous discourage you. Couscous is small, steamed balls of semolina of hard wheat. The fresh and light taste of this side dish pairs well with grilled chicken or salmon.
1 pkg. couscous, original plain flavor
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3 to 4 Tbsp. prepared zesty Italian salad dressing
2 large Roma tomatoes, diced
1 zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 c. fresh basil, cut into strips
1/3 c. green onions, sliced
3/4 c. feta cheese crumbles
1. Prepare couscous according to package directions, except omit butter and add black pepper with the water.
2. In a large bowl, combine prepared couscous with lemon juice and dressing. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini, basil and green onions. Chill overnight.
3. Top with cheese crumbles before serving.
Simple Potato Salad
The combination of two potato types with the crème fraîche makes this dish a nice alternative to the traditional mustard-based or mayonnaise-based salads.
1 1/2 lbs. small red potatoes, halved
1 1/2 lbs. peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbsp. white vinegar
3/4 c. crème fraîche
1/4 c. chopped fresh chives
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain.
2. Place potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with vinegar, tossing to coat. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Whisk together crème fraîche, chives, salt and pepper. Add to potatoes and stir gently to completely coat.