Chocolate Mousse Cake
So rich and yummy it’s worth making it once a year.
2-1/2 c. 2% milk
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 large eggs
2 tsps. vanilla extract
2-2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2-1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
10 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
2/3 c. heavy whipping cream
1. In a large saucepan, cook the milk, butter and chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla; stir in chocolate mixture until smooth. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well (batter will be thin).
3. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
4. For filling, in a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in confectioners' sugar and cream until smooth.
5. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache reaches a spreading consistency.
6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.