Mini Cherry Cupcakes
These lil' beauties take a few extra minutes but are worth it! They are perfect for pot lucks and will disappear quickly into the hands of the kiddos!
1-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. cherry preserves
30 maraschino cherries, drained, but reserve the juice
Powdered Sugar Cherry icing: Mix together until smooth 2 1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar, 2 Tbsp. reserved cherry juice, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, 1/4 tsp. almond extract.
1. Line 30 mini muffin cups with miniature paper baking cups. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add milk, butter, egg and vanilla. Beat on low until combined and on medium for one additional minute.
4. Spoon just enough batter into the paper cup to cover the bottom. Add 1/2 tsp. cherry preserves and then top with enough batter to cover the preserves. Cups should be 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing cakes. Cool completely on wire rack.
6. Drizzle tops with icing and top with maraschino cherry while icing is still soft.