Simply the Best Chicken Pot Pie
This is a meal all in one package! Meat and vegetables nestled in creamy goodness wrapped with a nice flaky crust (so good!). For my family I make two at a time and we cut each into four servings.
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas and celery. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
3. In the same saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place one of the pie crusts into the pie pan and press down firmly. Add the chicken mixture evenly on bottom and then pour the hot liquid over the top. Cover with the top crust, seal edges and flute. Make 3 slits in the top crust with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.