I admit there are days when I just don't know what to make for dinner. This thought enters my head early in the day but I do my best to suppress it. "I should do another load of laundry" I think to myself. "I should probably go cut down the passed-the-season lillies while the sun is under a cloud," I further delay the dinner decision. Now it is 4pm and it is go time!
Sometimes I perform well under pressure. Deadline looming. I quickly scour the pantry. Check the potential ingredients in the refrigerator. Hmm. I have two chicken breasts, jarred Alfredo sauce, eight slices of bacon and garden tomatoes. Yes! I can work with this!
It must have been good because everyone in the family had seconds (even the toddlers!)
Chicken Alfredo My Way (which means whatever I have available!)
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1/4 tsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
8 slices bacon
1 jar Alfredo sauce
1/4 c. milk
2 Roma tomatoes, cubed
1 lb. thin spaghetti
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
1. Combine salt, chili powder, onion powder and garlic salt in a small bowl. Toss with chicken until well coated.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet and add chicken. Brown chicken (roughly 10 minutes).
3. In another small skillet, fry bacon. Drain on paper towel and crumble. Then add to chicken skillet.
4. Pour Alfredo sauce into chicken skillet and turn heat to simmer. Put milk in jar, put lid back on a shake. Add to skillet.
5. Add tomatoes to chicken skillet.
6. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions, drain and add to chicken skillet.
7. Before serving add pepper and shredded cheese, allow to melt about 3 minutes.
I reserved about 2 tsp. of crumbled bacon and used it with my canned green beans. They were a complimentary side dish!