Easy Cheesy Beefy Frittata
I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet for this dish. The frittata is robust enough to be served for dinner when paired with fresh fruit. Serve while warm with salsa, hot sauce or ketchup!
1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef (we use 90% ground sirloin)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
8 large eggs
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 (8-oz.) bag shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 12-inch (oven-safe) cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and let it heat for a few minutes. Add ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until it’s browned.
2. Once beef is cooked, add onions and cook for a few minutes until they’re soft and translucent. Season the mixture with garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl whisk together the eggs and cream.
4. Sprinkle the top of the beef mixture evenly with about 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Then pour the egg mixture over beef and onions and spread out eggs so they’re even in the skillet.
5. Transfer skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set.
6. Remove frittata and top with the rest of the grated cheese. Then return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Apron Strings Tip: Using a quality shredded cheese is key to making this dish taste the best.