I use crescent dough sheets if they are available. If you like your casserole a moist you can add the pats of butter or stir a can of cream of mushroom soup into your ground beef mixture before adding it to the casserole.
2 lb. lean ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
4 c. shredded cabbage
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 pkg. refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (16-oz.) pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
5 Tbsp. butter (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Spread one tube of crescent rolls into the bottom the baking dish and bake 7 minutes or until brown.
3. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet; drain if necessary. Turn off heat.
4. Stir shredded cabbage, salt and pepper into the ground beef. Cover and let it steam for four minutes.
5. Spread the beef mixture on top of the baked crescent dough and evenly sprinkle the cheese on top of the meat mixture. Optional: cut butter into thin pats and place on top.
6. Spread the second tube of crescent rolls over the top of the cheese and press down lightly.
7. Bake for 35-to-40 minutes, covering with foil the last 10 minutes.
Apron Strings Tips: I purchase the pre-shredded cabbage to save time. You can easily shred your own head of cabbage and select the size of shreds you desire. Add a light layer of Dijon mustard just before you add the second layer of crescent rolls.