Four-Layer Fancy Cake
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) chocolate instant pudding
1 ½ pkgs. (12 oz.) cream cheese, softened
½ c. butter, softened
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
6 c. powdered sugar
½ container (4 oz.) whipped topping, do not thaw
2 oz. Baker’s semi sweet chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cake batter and bake according to package directions for 2 (9-inch) round cake layers, blending in dry pudding mix to batter better pouring into prepared pans. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen cakes from sides of pans with knife. Invert onto wire racks and gently remove cake from pans. Cool cakes completely.
2. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gradually beat in sugar.
3. Cut each cooled cake layer horizontally in half, using toothpicks inserted halfway up the side of the layer as guides for cutting. Use a serrated knife or cake cutting tool.
4. Stack on plate, spreading ¾ c. cream cheese frosting between each layer evenly. Spread remaining frosting onto the top and side of cake.
5. Microwave frozen whipped topping and chocolate in a microwave-safe dish for 1 to 1 ½ minutes; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is well blended. Cool 5 minutes. Pour over cake, letting excess run down the sides. Store cake in refrigerator. Garnish with chocolate curls or sprinkles.