Vanilla Ice Cream and 3 Variations
This recipe makes about 8 servings of 1 cup each.
2 c. whole milk
1 c. granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
2 c. half-and-half
2 c. whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, sugar, egg yolks and salt. Place pan over medium-high heat and whisk until mixture reaches a simmer.
2. Lower heat to medium and whisk for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
3. Strain mixture into a large bowl, then whisk in half-and-half, cream and vanilla.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours.
5. Pour mixture into ice cream maker. Process according to manufacturer instructions.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream: After straining mixture in step 3, add 1 cup smooth peanut butter and stir until fully incorporated. Continue with recipe.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: In step 3, substitute 1 tsp. peppermint extract for the vanilla. Once ice cream is made, stir in 2 cups mini chocolate chips.
Chocolate Ice Cream: After straining mixture in step 3, add 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir until melted and fully incorporated. Continue with recipe.