This simple recipe is a go-to when you’re in a time crunch. I made these first because of the lower oven temperature required. I skip the kneading step and let my Kitchen Aid mixer do the work for me.
2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. packed light brown sugar
4 c. all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In the large bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 of the flour and continue to mix until incorporated.
3. Lightly flour a flat surface and turn dough onto it. Knead for about 5 minutes, or long enough to add the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a knife or pizza wheel to 1-inch strips. Then cut strips to 1-inch pieces and transfer to the baking sheet. Leave about 1 inch between pieces. Prick each piece several times with a fork.
5. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Use less time for convection ovens. Do not overbake.
Apron Strings Tips: If your butter is not softened, you can speed the process by running it over a cheese grater. The smaller pieces will soften quickly.