Quick to the Table
By Angie Sutton, www.momsapronstrings.com
Cooking these go-to meals are a snap with the instant pressure cooker. Readers provided positive feedback last week and asked for more recipes! These soups and stew are fantastic keepers for your menu plan.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
The meat is perfectly cooked in this dish and your kiddos will be asking for seconds!
2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
5 carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
2 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 c. tomato juice
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1. Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir together. Turn on to stew/meat setting for 35 minutes.
2. Let it sit for 10 minutes before quick releasing steam.
This Italian-inspired soup is quick to prepare and has a zesty flavor.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. Italian sausage
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
5 c. chicken broth
2 tsp. dried fennel
2 tsp. dried basil
2 c. chopped fresh kale
½ c. heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Select the sauté function on the Instant Pot. When hot, add the olive oil.
2. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add garlic and sausage. Continue to sauté until the sausage browns, crumbling with a spatula, about 5 minutes. Press cancel on the Instant Pot.
3. Pour chicken broth into pot then add potatoes, fennel and basil.
4. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before quick releasing steam.
5. Remove lid and select sauté setting. Add kale and stir for 3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in whipping cream. Season with crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
Chicken Salsa Soup
Serve this delicious soup with tortilla strips, sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 chicken breasts
4 c. chicken broth
2 (15-oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 c. thick and hearty salsa
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. milk
1. Turn on the Instant Pot to sauté and add olive oil. Then add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Using a spatula, move the onions to one side of the pan.
2. Add chicken breasts and brown on both sides.
3. Pour chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, salt and chili powder into the pot and stir. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes then quick release the steam.
4. Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return chicken to pot. Add salsa and stir. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add milk and stir to combine.